Thursday, September 2, 2010

Happy 10th Anniversary Ben!

I realize that it's been EONS since I last posted. In an effort to change that I thought it only right to get back into it as I celebrate a very special anniversary in my life. Exactly ten years ago this weekend I fell in love with a musician that changed my life.

On September 4th, 2000 I joined 10,000 folks at the Memorial Stadium Amphitheater in Seattle Center to listen to the musical stylings of Ben Harper. Like many people in the audience I wasn't familiar with the music of Mr. Harper. I'd heard a couple of his songs on a CD my cousin had given me and I liked what I heard but I had no idea I was about to fall in love. I had no idea that what I was about to hear would blow my mind. His music would go on to develop the soundtrack of my life.

Ben's music has helped me through the peaks and the valleys of the last ten years. His song Diamonds on the Inside is even the namesake for my blog. There's nothing important in my life that he hasn't touched. Birthdays, graduations, break-ups, heartaches and even falling in love. Bad days, good days, happy/sad, times of change and learning. He's shared them all with me.

When he performed at Bumbershoot that year he opened with Glory & Consequence. So it's only fitting that when I turned on Ben Harper Pandora Radio today, on the eve of his concert at the Gorge Amphitheatre, that Glory & Consequence was the first song that played. It was the perfect way to begin our 10 year celebration.



Tomorrow night, on the eve of our anniversary, Ben Harper will open for Dave Matthews at the Gorge, to what I am sure will be a sold out crowd of 25,000 screaming fans. I will be among them, joined by my incredible boyfriend and hundreds of strangers.

Ben you are more than a musician, you are an artist. It has been an honor to share this journey with you. Thank you for an amazing ten years Ben, here's to ten more!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails